Monday, June 14, 2010

A Vision of K-12 Students Today

As a digital immigrant, it always helps to be reminded of the needs of our students-- the digital natives. Because they were brought into a world with such a ubiquitous digital landscape, their expectations and needs are fundamentally different from the needs and expectations of my primary education.
As educators, most of us are digital immigrants--we weren't born into such a digital world but we have had the awesome experience of watching it come to be. Unlike my students, I can remember a time when there was no internet and the only phones that we used were connected to the wall by a three-foot cable.
This, however, does not excuse my obligation to them. As an educator, I must stay current on technological trends so that I can speak their "digital" language. Particularly compelling to me was the part in the video that said that most of the jobs my students will have have do not even exist yet. Wow!
The only way to properly and effectively educate our 21st century learners is to teach them to use the myriad technological tools that they have at their disposal.

1 comment:

  1. Great comments. We can't just assume that our students, although they are digital natives, know how to use the technology and we can't continue to use the lack of access at home as an excuse for us not teaching them to use the technology. We are charged with the task of educating the whole child and technology literacy and skill is becoming more and more essential.

    ReplyDelete