Sunday, July 19, 2009

Thing #10


I really enjoyed playing around with the online image generators. Wordle is a really cool tool that allowed me to make a word cloud with text. When playing around with it, I decided to submit an excerpt from Martin Luther King, Jr.'s famous "I Have a Dream" speech since my eighth grade language arts classes do a unit on civil rights that includes this speech. While I really liked the result, I was unable to save it or print it, so I am a little bit disappointed. I think that the students would really enjoy examining it while studying the speech. I do, however, think that Wordle could easily be integrated into the classroom.

The main problem that I had with most of the image generators is that their products seem to be limited to online images. Oftentimes if I create an image, I want the option of printing it out. For this reason, I prefer the generators at Big Huge Labs. I really like the motivational poster tool and used it to make a reading poster. My idea for the upcoming school year is to take photos of teachers, staff, administrators, custodians, cafeteria workers, etc. reading books and creating posters of them to display around the school and on our campus slide show. I created the one shown here using an image from Flickr since I don't have any pictures yet. I am very excited about using this application as a way to motivate our students to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment