Saturday, July 11, 2009

Thing #5


I have never used Flickr before today--what a fabulous resource! When searching for pictures online, I always use the "image" function of the major search engines; one problem with these, however, is their copyright status. I love how Flickr has a separate site for Creative Commons licensed materials--now I can be confident that the images I use (and direct my students towards using) are within copyright guidelines. I also appreciate the quality of the images; there are some really amazing photographs.

I've posted a photograph of the gates of Auschwitz that I got from Flickr. I chose this image because my eighth graders come into the library to research the Holocaust as part of an instructional unit. I was curious as to what kinds of historical photographs Flickr had to offer and was pleased to discover that they have a huge bank to pull from.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to dig deeper. I found lots of travel and nature pictures--not the historical ones. Thanks for the lead.

    ReplyDelete