Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thing #8

Wow--who knew that RSS feeds could be so cool? I've never before heard of such a thing, but now I don't know how I lived without a Google reader account. Like most people, I have my favorite websites & blogs that I periodically check out. The idea of having them come to me is something that I've never considered. Before I created my Google reader account, I would sit at my computer (when I had time) and think, "Now, which blog should I check?" Utilizing the RSS feed, I can now simply check my account and it will list for me the news and updates.
In my professional life, I must keep abreast of the advances in technology and library science. I subscribed to librarian posts such as "Librarian Philosopher" and "A Library by Any Other Name." Another challenge that I face as a librarian is keeping current on the new literature. To help with this, I searched for blogs that offer YA book reviews and awards. By typing "ALA book awards" and "young adult reading list" into the Google reader search engine, I was able to locate several blogs that have reviews and book lists. I ended up subscribing to four blogs that cover these topics: BPL Teens, Young Adults Central Blog, Suite 101: Teen Fiction Articles, and The LibrariYAn. I am excited to check my account for new, updated information.
This technology can be used by everyone in the education field. Teachers can use it to stay informed about instructional technology and teaching practices; administrators can use RSS feeds to stay current on leadership practices and scientific based research. I plan on sharing this easy-to-use application with my campus at the beginning of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment