Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thing #7

While Google has always been my search engine of choice, I was completely unaware of the many tools that it has to offer. I really enjoyed playing around and experimenting with them.
The first thing I did was set up an iGoogle page to be my web home page. I just love how I can customize it to my interests and location.
Google docs offers many applications that I can use as a librarian. The concept of utilizing an online, shared spreadsheet is something that I can really use. Every year, the task of completing a campus-wide equipment inventory involved my sending out e-mails and reminders to teachers. With the Google docs spreadsheet, I can create a spreadsheet that all of my campus' teachers can access to fill out their information.
I also appreciate the concept of the Google calendar. I plan on using it next year to organize my library scheduling. My campus has semi-flexible scheduling with each language arts class coming in once every two weeks; remaining days are open for classes wishing to complete research, etc. With an online shared calendar, I can post the schedule and share it with all of my teachers, who can then use it to reserve days. Rather than creating a schedule and putting a hard copy in each teacher's mailbox, they can access it online.

No comments:

Post a Comment