Saturday, July 11, 2009

Thing #2

As an educator, I consider myself to be a lifelong learner. In addition to the staff development mandated by my profession (and in order to receive those much cherished district comp days), I pursue many interests in my personal life. Any pursuit involves educating myself, whether formally or informally.
Insofar as the 7 & 1/2 Habits of Lifelong Learners are concerned, I find the first one--beginning with the end in mind-- to be the easiest. Anytime I set out to educate myself about something, I have an end goal in mind, whether it's learning how to use technology or fixing some new, untried cuisine for dinner.
Of all the habits, number three is probably the most difficult for me: View problems as challenges. Sometimes I find it difficult to keep that attitude when a "roadblock" appears in my path. If I find a particular learning opportunity to be less than enjoyable, I am sometimes easily dissuaded from continuing. I think it's important to maintain a positive attitude, and a large part of that involves perceiving problems as challenges to be overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment